Thursday, April 11, 2013

When Life Slaps You in the Face

I feel like over the last few years, there's been a few times where life/the universe is like you know what? I know you think things are going well, but really, I hate you and want to make everything much harder for you. SMACK. Then my face stings for a bit and I get over it and take my life in a new direction. This is one of those times.

I started a new job which I was all rosy and excited about. After six days.. just SIX of actual work, my body has decided to hate me an refuse to allow me to do my job properly. Sure it's probably just my fault for taking a job in manual labor when I knew I was a big couch potato fatty. I really thought I could handle it though, apparently I cannot.

I took the day off yesterday because after work on Tuesday, it literally hurt just sitting down. It felt like my feet were going to fall off and I had this twinge in my lower back that reared up on Monday. It felt like either something in my spine was being pinched, or like two of my vertebra were rubbing together. My knees were weak and wobbly, it doesn't help that my patella rubs away at my cartilage anyway... basically I was a wreck.

Tuesday night after work, I'd applied to a boatload of other jobs. I know that I won't be able to find anything remotely as well paying as this job, but hopefully I'll find something that I can actually do until Hubbs graduates in January.

Yesterday, my phone was flooded with calls from recruiters and prospective employers. I was pretty shocked, I even had two interviews yesterday. I've got a second interview lined up for tomorrow and two others next week. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's getting interviews. Getting jobs on the other hand is a little trickier. We're hoping for something in the $10/hr range with benefits, but we'll see what happens.

Hubbs is not too happy about it. We had a fight about it yesterday morning. Hubbs and I rarely fight, but when we do, it usually stems from his own insecurities. My looking for yet another new job somehow makes him feel inadequate because for 90% of the time we've been married, I've been the only one working.

We were all excited because we were looking into the idea of buying a house... that's not happening anymore. He doesn't want to get trapped here like his siblings and blah blah so now we have a new plan. We're going to rent a new apartment for the fall semester while he finishes school, and then after he graduates, no matter what, we're moving. We have no idea where, or what we'll do when we get there, but we've decided to take the plunge and do it. Hubbs is still thinking about joining the military, and I guess we can just move wherever he gets stationed. At the moment, if that turns out to be the plan, I'm planning on going back to school wherever we move.

Last August, when I was looking for something new to do with my life, there were a few options that I was toying around with. I chose welding and obviously that didn't really work out too well. One of the other options was going back to school to be a vet tech, and I think maybe that's the path I was supposed to take. In EMT school, I did very well with the medical aspect of things, but the whole dealing with patients wasn't my forte. I love animals and always have, the best part is they can't talk back or intentionally spit in your face. I think that would be a good fit for me. There are several great accredited schools all over the country and I am confident that no matter where Hubbs is stationed that I'll be able to find a program to attend.

Hopefully, these new plans don't fail as miserably as some of our others have. Wish me luck at my interviews and any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I try to be optimistic, but sometimes it really does suck when it seems like all of your grand plans are complete and epic failures despite your best efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment