Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Baby Name

Hubbs and I have had a girl's name picked out for years. Pretty much ever since we got married. We both love it and the only way we're not gonna name her that, is if she pops out looking more like the back-up name instead.
It's definitely not a common name, and while it's not spelled weird and doesn't have a high risk of mispronunciation, the inspiration for the name does come from a video game. Some internet forums are like, "oh, don't choose that name, your kid will get bullied." Are these people stupid? Your kid can get bullied for any number of things, glasses, being tall, being smart, being stupid, liking green, thinking star wars is cool, etc. Kids can come up with terrible nicknames for any name, it's an evil, magical gift that leads to endless teasing.You have to teach your kid not to stand for that crap. Also, I'm pretty sure kids in elementary school by then are going to have no idea what the video game is. If they do, their parents are doing a terrible job raising them. Besides, the name is badass and I really doubt it will lead to bullying, I'm more worried about the fact that she's pretty much guaranteed to be over 5'10", which sucked for me growing up.
So f*ck it, we're naming our kid the name that we love. There are plenty of nickname options if she grows up to hate it. I can pretty much guarantee there will never be someone with the same name in her class. I think that's awesome. Growing up there were a million of me's in my classes and it pissed me off. It also pissed off all of the Jen's and Jessica's and everyone else with a super common name.
The best part, or what we think is the best part, is that when combined with her middle name, we get a cute "car" nickname. It's Hubbs' favorite car in the whole wide world, and we think it's cute.
It would be too easy for me to share the name, I don't want to jinx it, so we're going to wait till she's born to reveal it, but we are very glad to finally be finished with the name game.


No comments:

Post a Comment