Friday, March 8, 2013

Last Day Long-Term Subbing

Today my long term subbing assignment ended. It was weird. I'll definitely remember those kids forever, and they'll probably forget me in a week. We didn't make a big fuss of the goodbye or anything. We just put them on the bus like any normal day. Some of them have forever tainted a name for me and I'll look back on with annoyance. Others I'll have fond memories of, and wonder who they grow up to be. If they'll refuse their "specialness" hold them back and go on to do amazing things. Maybe there are some future Special Olympic athletes or business owners, i.e. Tim's Place. I do hope that they all grow up to be awesome.

Tomorrow we're heading to lovely, lovely Vegas. Not so much looking forward to the long car ride, but definitely looking forward to the change of scenery. I'm also hoping that this trip satisfies my desire to get another dog. I'm sure having to wrangle three all weekend instead of just one will crush that dream in a big way. Besides, with us possibly moving and everything, it just make sense to wait until we're settled wherever it is we're going. I'm no stranger to long car trips, I've driven all over this country several times, sometimes coast to coast, and I have my usual road-trip entertainment things. For the most part, I arrive at my destination and my voice is completely gone because I've been singing along to the stereo for the entire trip. What about you? What do you do to keep yourself from getting completely bored behind the wheel?

I'm trying to let go of the anxiety associated with waiting to hear back from the dream job. There's nothing more I can do to persuade them. At this point I've just got to wait and hope for the best. Also potentially work on my fear of heights, which I told them I didn't have. It's not that I'm afraid of the height itself. I'm afraid of the falling from said height and going splat on the ground. Usually, as long as all of the safety precautions have been followed, and I'm strapped into a harness and so forth, I'm fine. That's how I managed to go rock climbing and other such shenanigans without freaking out. I've also been cliff-jumping, but never higher than 40ft... because I have no interest in hitting the water wrong and breaking my sternum and/or dying. I really would appreciate any well wishes or warm thoughts sent our way. This job will seriously be completely life-changing in the best way possible.

It was funny, I was talking to my dad the other day. He mentioned not being afraid to take risks. Mostly, he was referring to this new job. I laughed and said "when have I ever been afraid to take risks?" and he responded with "well sometimes, it's about knowing when NOT to take it." Wise man, my dad. The only things I think about doing never really have any serious repercussions, so after a bit of deliberation, I pretty much always go for it. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work out, and you start over with plan B, or C, or D, depending. lol.

Anyway, I hope all of you have a great weekend/early week. I'll be gone till Wednesday and not blogging because Vegas makes me lazy. Plus I'm pretty sure over the course of the trip, I'm going to eat my weight in steak, seafood, and Raising Cane's. Good times. I should probably pack... lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment