Monday, January 13, 2014

PTL Scare

I was 34 weeks, 5 days yesterday. I woke up at 4:30am with cramping. I took some tylenol, grabbed some water, and chilled in bed on my left side. They kept up for 2 hours. Eventually, I fell asleep and when I woke up at 10:30am, I was still cramping and had some pressure. They weren't really timable, but after my last visit, the Dr said to go in if I had cramping for more than 3 hours.
The cramping wouldn't go away and the pressure got worse, eventually it felt like stabbing in my cervix with every cramp. I gave in and went to L&D. I let DH stay home because I thought I'd be home in an hour or so, just like the Christmas Eve L&D visit.

They hooked me up and it turns out I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. They monitored me for a while, swabbed for Group B strep, took a urine sample via catheter (which was absolutely terrible), and checked my cervix. I was fingertip dilated but not effaced, so that's nice.

The contractions kept going and several hours later, the Dr decided since I wasn't quite 35 weeks yet, they'd try to stop my labor. I called DH at this point and told him to snag a ride down to the hospital. I would be there for at least a few more hours and in the event labor didn't stop or they needed to go to the next step to stop labor, I wouldn't be able to drive myself home. Plus it was nice having him around for support. They gave me 3 doses of something in pill form, I forget what it was called, one every half hour. It's scary to think that had I been 2 days further along, they would have just let me labor, eeeek.

It helped space my contractions to about 4-5 minutes apart. Luckily, the contractions didn't change my cervix any further. Since it didn't stop them all together, they decided to give me some morphine and something that also makes you sleepy and stops nausea, which apparently can also tell your uterus to chill the f*ck out. I didn't have any more contractions after the morphine shot and they sent me home just 7 short hours after checking in.

Definitely a little nerve-wracking to think that my body is already trying to get this baby out. The Dr said the next time it happens, they're not going to bother trying to stop labor, so really, it could be any day now. Send the sticky vibes this way if you can. Right from the beginning, my Dr knew I wasn't going to make it to 40 weeks, but I'm definitely hoping LO stays in there a bit longer, preferably after my job interview Tuesday. With the full moon Thursday though, I don't know how much longer she'll stay in there. Wish us luck!

The morphine did not make me sleepy, it just gave me a devil of a headache, extreme thirst, and a super dry mouth. In a way it was nice, because I didn't wake up to a huge drool puddle, but I did wake up every 15 minutes needing a drink. Mental note, if they offer morphine during labor, say no! I spent most of today feeling groggy and luckily tylenol took care of the headache. There was definitely a lot of napping involved.

I have my 2nd job interview tomorrow for this job I really want. Here's to hoping it goes well. Mostly I'm just hoping that my water doesn't break in the middle of it. lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment