Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Free Lunch

When I was in college, I had no trouble going places by myself, movies, dinner, it didn't matter. I found it easier than finding someone who actually wanted to see what I wanted to see, or eat where I wanted to eat. It was not unusual to find me alone on a weekday eating lunch in a restaurant with a good book.

On this particular day, I was dining by myself at Olive Garden reading Persuasion for the 20th time,  someone decided to pay for my lunch. They included a little card, some sort of "come to church" thing with a little quote about how I was loved.

At the time, I was super insulted, and thought it meant I must have looked like some lonely weirdo, and this person must have felt so badly for me, thinking I had no one in my life. Even though technically, that was true. Maybe I looked too much into it. Now, about 6 years later. I see it as just a kind gesture. Making someone who perhaps really did feel very alone, not so alone.

There are those moments in life, where sometimes someone who is at the end of their rope and about to take that leap just needs one person, just one to be nice to them. To smile, to say hello, to make them feel like there is just one person in the world who noticed them, even if just for a moment. Sometimes knowing someone cared can make a world of difference.

I try most days if I can, to say one nice thing, or do something small for someone else. If it's reaching out to a friend I haven't heard from in a while, or smiling and greeting an elderly stranger in the store. You just never know when that small little moment can help someone when they need it most.


No comments:

Post a Comment